Summer Reminders

Backyard (Recreational) Fires

Backyard/recreational fires are allowed when:

  • The base of the fire does not exceed three feet in diameter.
  • Flames do not exceed two feet in height.
  • Fire is contained in a fire ring of noncombustible material.
  • Fire ring is located at least 25 feet from any structure.
  • Water source is in close proximity.
  • Fire is attended until extinguished.
  • Burning only clean, dry wood; not treated lumber, leaves, trash, furniture, etc.
  • Fire does not produce smoke that causes discomfort or a negative impact to neighboring properties. If there is discomfort or an impact, please call 911.

Basketball Hoops in Streets

For safety reasons recreational devices (i.e. basketball hoops, hockey nets, etc.) cannot be installed or placed in the right-of-way or boulevard areas of your yard or in public streets, even on a temporary basis.

Branches/Brush Disposal

For a nominal fee, Public Works located at 1900 Hadley, accepts branches/brush, under eight inches in diameter. Drop off hours are Monday through Friday from 7:30 AM to 3 PM beginning the second Monday in April until the third Friday in October. No grass clippings or bagged leaves are allowed for drop off at Public Works. 

Washington County provides a list of options and locations for yard waste disposal.

Buckthorn Maintenance

Borrow buckthorn pullers for free. The City has several sizes of buckthorn pulling tools available. Call 651-730-2740 to check availability.

Call Before Digging

Planning to dig in your yard for posts, landscaping, gardening, or other? Call Gopher State’s Call at 811 at least 48 hours before digging.

Garage Sales

Each property may have a total of three garage sales per year; with each sale running no more than four days. This includes participation in the City-wide sales.


Oakdale operates under a year-round odd-even watering schedule. Odd-numbered addresses (homes/businesses ending in 1, 3, 5, etc.) are allowed to water on odd-numbered days of the month. Even-numbered addresses (homes/businesses ending in 0, 2, 4, etc.) are allowed to water on even-numbered days of the month.  Residents are encouraged to contact their irrigation system installer with questions about operation. 

Water loss is the greatest between 10 AM and 5 PM. Residents and businesses are encouraged to refrain from watering during this time.

Water-saving strategies for homeowners

Outdoor Warning Sirens

Outdoor warning sirens are tested at 1 PM on the first Wednesday of each month, March through October.

Parking by Mailboxes

To allow for the unobstructed delivery of mail, vehicles must park at least 10 feet away from either side of all mailbox between the hours of 8 AM and 6 PM, Monday through Saturday.

Pets and Leashes

When dogs and cats leave their premises, they need to be leashed or under other physical control. Dogs need to be leashed when in City parks, except in designated areas of the Oakdale Bark Park. 


When leaving private property, on foot, accompanied by a dog, City code (Section 4-16) requires the human possess supplies, such as plastic bags, to collect and dispose of any excrement from the pup. This requirement is in effect year round and violating the code carries a fine. Before heading out, gather up a few bags (shopping, newspaper, food storage) and place them in your pocket so you’ll be fully prepared for a drop-and-stop, or two. If you’re in a park, seek out a Mutt Mitt dispenser.

Property Complaints

Have a concern with or complaint about a neighboring property? Submit a Citizen Request or call 651-702-5225. Please note that you need to live within 200 feet of the subject property or be able to see it from your property. All complaints are anonymous.

Sewer Back-ups

If your property experiences a problem with the public sewer system, call Public Works at 651-730-2740 with questions.

Storm Sewers

Only Rain in the Drain. If yard waste (leaves/grass clippings), automotive fluids, and pet waste are allowed to enter storm drains, they flow directly to our lakes, rivers, and ponds. Urban storm water runoff is a major source of pollution. Do your part, one drop at a time!

Sump Pumps

Please route out! The flow that enters the sanitary sewer system through toilets, wash tubs, and floor drains is sent to the treatment plant in Saint Paul. The flow is metered and Oakdale and its utility customers are charged for additional flow. If you use a sump pump for groundwater, please note that it is illegal to discharge sump pumps into the sanitary sewer system (toilets, wash tubs, floor drains). Route discharge outside to your yard, the street, the storm sewer, or waterway.

Tall Grass

Grass at all properties needs to be kept to a maximum height of six inches, cut at least every two weeks between May 15 and October 15, and weeds kept under control. When the City gets a complaint about tall grass, the property owner has up to five days to cut the grass or the City will cut the grass and charge the property owner. Submit a Citizen Request or call 651-702-5225.

Tire Disposal

During the summer, Minnesota Mosquito Control will pick up tires at no cost. Call 651-645-9149 to schedule a pick up, or submit a request online.

Trash and Recycling Containers

Except on your trash and recycling collection day, containers need to be stored on the side or back of your house/garage or inside a garage or shed. To learn about screening options, please call Building Inspections at 651-739-5150. 

More trash and collection information

Tree Removal or Pruning

Residents should use a tree service company that has been licensed by the City. Find a Licensed Tree Services Company or call 651-730-2739 with questions.

Watering Lawns and Gardens

Lawn care experts say “watering thoroughly but infrequently” is the best course of action for a healthy yard. Minnesota’s natural resources are limited and need to be preserved; as such, Oakdale operates under a year round, odd-even watering schedule: even numbered addresses can water on even numbered days and odd numbered addresses on odd numbered days.

Wetlands and Ponds

Please remember to not dispose of grass clippings or animal excrement adjacent to ponding areas or in streets and sewers. Grass clippings and other materials adversely affect the water quality of our wetlands and lakes. Also, the area surrounding wetlands / ponds (generally 25 feet around the perimeter) is owned by the City or state and should not be maintained as an extension of a private yard. The natural growth around wetland serves as a filter to reduce or eliminate harmful sediments.

Wildlife and Water Fowl

Please remember that the feeding of wildlife (like deer) or water fowl (like geese) is not allowed in the city and that bird feeders need to be at least five feet above the ground or structure, such as a deck.